The G.E.R.M. program awards grants to medical students to support a mentored clinical learning and/or research project for up to a year. Applications must be submitted by February 18, 2019.
All applications will require:
- Completed online application
- Mentee CV
- Letter of Recommendation from your mentor
- Mentor’s NIH Biosketch or CV
The mentor should provide details regarding his/her support for the applicant, the project, and their plan for mentoring the applicant. You will be expected to provide the following:
- When do you expect to complete the project?
- Project Title
- What are your project goals?
Please note: project scoring will take into account the following components: relevance to infectious diseases or HIV, advancement of the field of HIV/Infectious diseases (including clinical advancement or medical education), feasibility during funding period, and novelty to the field. (300 words max)
Additional Details to Provide
- Provide the specific details regarding how you will carry out your proposed research, clinical training, or medical education activity. (300 words max)
- How do you and your mentor plan to engage on the project?
- Describe the specific plan for interaction with your mentor during the course of the project? (i.e., how often will you meet, what will the structure of meetings look like, what goals do you hope to accomplish through these meetings, other training that you and your mentor anticipate) (300 words max)
- Why are you interested in pursuing an infectious diseases or HIV-related research project? (300 words max)
- How would the G.E.R.M. grant be used to support your project? (300 words max)
- Do you have other sources of project funding or are you currently applying for additional funding? (300 words max)
- Projects without other sources of funding may be rated more favorably during the review process depending on how the IDSA Foundation grant will contribute to the project. If other funding has been secured, applicants should specify how the IDSA Foundation funding will enhance or extend the research project.
- Besides the mentor named in your application, please identify any additional person(s) who will have significant interaction with you to conduct the research proposed in your application and describe that person’s role in the project.