Created in 2014, the IDSA Foundation’s IDWeek Mentorship Program offers medical students, residents and fellows with access to field leaders and the academic support they need to create their imprint on the field of ID. The impact of this program can have long-lasting effects.
As the field of ID is faced with fewer early career physicians choosing the specialty and the struggle for more federal funding for research, those that enter the field are critical to helping to safeguard public health. ID touches all aspects of our health — from getting vaccinated from the flu and increasing viral suppression of HIV to stopping the next new Ebola or Zika case spreading all over the globe. Supporting the medical students, clinicians and public health experts who will take the helm of ID will literally have worldwide consequences.
What our IDWeek Mentorship program participants are saying:
- “Having my mentor guide me during IDWeek was so helpful. We talked about the seminars I should attend and she introduced me to faculty at one of the institutions to which I will be applying.”
- “It’s incredibly helpful to have access to this powerful network.”
- “It was really exciting being matched with a member of the IDSA Board of Directors. He spent a lot of time answering my questions.”
- “There is so much gratification knowing you can help the next generation of ID leaders navigate the specialty.”
- “She expressed a lot of interest in learning. Her enthusiasm was infectious.”
Eligibility Requirements for the Travel Award
- Application will be ranked by an advisory committee of infectious disease professionals. Participants are selected based on their demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in infectious diseases.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a fully-accredited U.S. or International medical school or residents program to be eligible for this award. This includes students enrolled in MD-PhD programs and those who may have completed medical school but continue their studies in the PhD phase of the program.
- Past participants are welcome to reapply.
- All applicants will be notified of the award decisions in August.
- Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Awardees are required to respond to a participant’s pre- and post-survey. If the awardee does not comply with the final requirements to close out the program, funding will be forfeited.
Please direct all questions about your application or eligibility to IDWeekMentorship@idsociety.org.